northern v&Bs

Connecticut Trips and Events

Moderator: Pamola

northern v&Bs

Postby Jen R » Mon May 10, 2010 12:17 pm

I had to drop my niece off in Lake Peekskill, NY this past Saturday morning and noticed directly east was Torrington so I decided to do that Brew and Hartford this weekend. The rain stopped just in time for my first hike at Flanders Nature Center in Woodbury, CT (they have a nice Wildflower Trail among others), headed to Cambridge House for lunch - Fantastic appetizers! And to offset the fattening food, I had a Torri Light which was nice - had a nice flavor for a light beer. Than we headed off (mom and sister) to Sunnybrook State Park in NW Torrington. Another pleasant park with nice woods and ponds plenty of wildflowers. The John Muir Trail (will try that next time) connects Sunnybrook SP to Burr Pond S.P. for several miles of hiking in either park. Than off for a 40 min drive to Hartford. Parking was little tough and service a little slow but I enjoyed the City Steam Export before heading home after a long day.

Looking forward to my next V&B maybe in two weeks.
Jen R
Viewer

Re: northern v&Bs

Postby Laurie » Wed May 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Your family really knows how to take on a cause! Sounds like fun for all! Cambridge parking was indeed a bear, but we found their food and beer to be worth it! Keep in touch with what the next stop will be and make sure you keep all those spread sheets straight! Actively pursuing VT, NH, and now CT, plus other family members still working on NY, could get confusing!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Jen R » Mon May 17, 2010 11:05 am

We actually qualified for the CT V&B w/Torington (Cambridge #7) but want to finish the entire list so will do Stamford and Southport for #9 and #10 this Saturday. I should have my list to you by next week.

Are you up at Balsam tower this weekend?
Jen R
Viewer

Postby Tom » Wed May 19, 2010 7:20 am

Jen R wrote:We actually qualified for the CT V&B w/Torington (Cambridge #7) but want to finish the entire list so will do Stamford and Southport for #9 and #10 this Saturday. I should have my list to you by next week.

Are you up at Balsam tower this weekend?
Woohoo! :toast:

Yes, we'll be at BLM. 10-2 or so??
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Wed May 19, 2010 6:48 pm

We??? You and how many other family members? What a great way to spend some quality family time, get in some traveling, some exercise, and some good local beverages. You guys Rock!

We will only be at BLM on Sat from 10-2 when you will be finishing. If something should happen to change that let us know and we can try to arrange to be there. Congrats in advance!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Jen R » Thu May 20, 2010 10:44 am

My Mom and I are both finishing # 9 and #10 on Saturday right about when you finish up on Balsam so about 2 PM raise up your water bottles and we'll raise our mugs :toast: to you both in thanks for introducing us to a fun family event.

Not sure yet who else in family is coming - my sister Sue (has 2 CT) and brother Bill (has 3 in CT) are strong possibilities and perhaps Sophia.

The SBC we went to in Brandford a couple of weeks ago had a great seasonal Rasberry Fruit beer that was real nice-even my brother liked it (he's usally not big on Fruit beers) - hoping maybe Stamford or Southport will have it so I can grab a growler.

hope to see you soon on the hiking trails!
Jen R
Viewer

Postby Laurie » Sun May 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Finished? A big congrats to you and Mom! The weather sure was nice. I hope the hiking and brews were as well!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Jen R » Mon May 24, 2010 11:00 am

FINISHED! :D

On Saturday, May 22 - my mom and I both finished all the CT Breweries with my 4 yr old niece Sophia.
We finished at Stamford SBC with their seasonal Hefeweizen Wheat which was quite good. I tried there Strawberry Blonde (actually rasberry) which was good too but I preferred the Hefeweizen. Great desserts too!
Unfortunately, when I went to buy a Growler they were out of jugs :cry: I guess I have to go back. It is only 20 minutes from my house. Since I had my niece with me we hiked the New Canaan Nature Center - Small, only 2 miles of trails but very pretty - we actually saw snakes, deer, huge bullfrogs, ducks with babies, orioles, tons of beautiful wildflowers. Our 2nd hike was the Greenwich Audubon center w/7 miles of trails. Nice but closed at 5 PM so we did not explore nearly as much as I would have liked -so I will have to go back there too.

Laurie - do you have your schedule for the BL FT? Is it a 6 mile hike? (I can look it up), I would love for Sophia to hike it on a weekend when you guys are there - I really think she would get a kick out of it.
Jen R
Viewer

Postby Tom » Mon May 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Jen R wrote:Laurie - do you have your schedule for the BL FT? Is it a 6 mile hike? (I can look it up), I would love for Sophia to hike it on a weekend when you guys are there - I really think she would get a kick out of it.
BL is just over 6 miles. It's an easy walk on an old road the first 2.25. Then 500' up in the last .75 on an old jeep road/trail. One of the easiest of the 35. We're not quite ready to post the schedule yet, but we hope there will be volunteers there the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekends of each month, starting in June and running thru till Columbus Day.
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:36 pm

It's official!

http://www.viewsandbrews.com/ct/finish.html

Congrats to Jen and Wilma, Numbers 1 and 2 for Connecticut!

The Patches are in the mail! :-D

:toast:
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Congratulations from me to both of you as well! Did you get in a few more in NH this weekend as well as some hiking?
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Jen R » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks.

I did not get in any new brew pubs Memorial Weekend :cry: Probably regrabbing Lake George on Father's Day weekend for my brother though :-D
Jen R
Viewer

Postby Laurie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 am

Jen R wrote:Thanks.

I did not get in any new brew pubs Memorial Weekend :cry: Probably regrabbing Lake George on Father's Day weekend for my brother though :-D

Love that family attitude!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby coldfeet » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Congrats Jen to you and your family! I ran out of steam on my trips but hope to get back on the wagon in Oct with Tom and Laurie for my last 2 in Eastern Ct....see u out there...
Never been a big beer drinker but I'm willing to learn!
coldfeet
Pubcrawler

Return to Connecticut Trips and Events