A triple play for CT VNBs!

Connecticut Trips and Events

Moderator: Pamola

A triple play for CT VNBs!

Postby Tom » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:09 pm

We joined David for a stroll along the Branford Trail this morning, into the afternoon, and saw a few interesting sights. There was a huge cliff that we had to go around to get to the bottom of the trail. There was a trolley running thru a swamp, with lots of smiling, waving people. :?: Several cormorants, a Great Blue Heron, and a few other shore birds flew over. We strolled for about 90 minutes and chatted about life, kids, hiking, huge cookies, etc. :D

Afterward, we headed to SBC Branford for a celebration. When we arrived the hostess started chatting with us and told us that she loved hiking. In fact, she had climbed Kilimanjaro! :eek: We were duly impressed. We ordered a sampler, and tried 7 beers. The Stout, the Pumpkin, and the EPA were ok, the rest were a little bland, not bad, but just not noteworthy. This is pretty much the same as all of the other SBCs. (More on that later).

After a cup of soup and salad, we headed to Bru at Bar, or Bar at Bru, or whatever they call it. This place was closed last time we were there, so we made sure they were open. It was open, but it was a little odd. We asked to sit at the bar, and were told that the bar (actually 2 of them), was closed. :?: Oh, no, not again! It turned out you could order beer from the cashier and sit at the bar, so this was ok. Then, all they were serving was pizza, which was very thin. We ordered a pie, and it eventually came out and was ok. But the beers here were first rate! David ordered a sampler, and we ordered a Dark IPA and a Stout. Both were excellent. I also had a few sips of David's Pale Ale, which was very good.

The next stop was SBC Southport. Yes, the 4th SBC of our journeys. The only new beer they had was the Porter, which was ok. We mixed it with some pumpkin for an off-beat Black-n-Tan. That was about it for that.

So, Laurie is REALLY getting behind on her Patch sewing, let me tell you! :twisted:

David's Giant cookie!

http://viewsandbrews.com/ct/ct8.jpg
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Re: A triple play for CT VNBs!

Postby coldfeet » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:17 am

There is nothing better than finishing up a list with Tom and Laurie! Boy do i miss going out with them and thx for the support about parenthood. Hey Tom, how about them little crabs crawling back into their holes? And those little ones with some type of yellow color on them? I love this website, it took me to so many different types of habitats around the state. On Friday night I went back to Sleeping Giant and hiked up the road with the wind howling and a light drizzle coming down. Of course my city paranoia was getting to me sine I was hiking by myself, I highly recommend going there for a nice 1 - 2 hour non strenous walk. Nice views of New Haven and the Long Island Sound. I went to SBC Hamden that night and ordered the samlpers. Well lets just say that I liked their seasonsal beer the best and keep it at that. I have the same opinion as Tom regarding their beers. It was a nasty drive that night back to my sisters house in Danbury and hour away. Back at her house I continued to watch my Yankees get beat up and shut the tv off when it was 5-0, little did I know what was about to happen. Oh yea, while sleeping at her house one of her cats (she has 2) was jumping on my sleeping bag and clawing away at my feet. Hmmm, dayja-vu from last weeks red squirrel chewing my space balnket to get my food? :shock: It was tought to sleep knowing that I was meeting Laurie and Tom in the morning for another Viewandbrew finish, whooo hoooo!

Hopefully next spring we will have a mini gathering and chat about all the great places we have visited and continueing a list for future trips! I'm pretty sure my excursions to other states will be limited for a while but I'll keep on reading about everyone else's. Hey Laurie, why sew when u can use a safety pin!
Best to everyone, cheers, David :toast:
Never been a big beer drinker but I'm willing to learn!
coldfeet
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:20 am

Another finish for the three of you! Man are you guys good! A huge Congratulations!!!! :toast: :D
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Tom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:19 am

Almost forgot to update the list!

http://viewsandbrews.com/ct/finish.html
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:42 pm

As always, David - a great day out with you and Tom! You are definitely our "poster child", really understand the sentiment behind Views and Brews and enjoy every moment even if it is not a high peak! Congratulations on being our only "triple" finisher!

PS - Tom doesn't know it yet, but I picked up a large package of safety pins today.
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby coldfeet » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Thx Laurie, and I'm sure Jen R will be joining that list very soon. I do also have to thank my little Toyota Matrix for taking me on all of those adventures! Gotta give the little guy a good oil change this week and some high test :toast:
Never been a big beer drinker but I'm willing to learn!
coldfeet
Pubcrawler

Return to Connecticut Trips and Events