12-8-12 CT - quest conclusion

Connecticut Trips and Events

Moderator: Pamola

12-8-12 CT - quest conclusion

Postby Woolybear » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:09 am

12-8-12 CT- quest conclusion
Paul S. (Woolybear), Mike S. (Woodzy), Mike’s Father in Law, & Peter S.

First car drop of at Catskill. I worked all night so Mike drove (thanks Mike).
Second car drop off Taconic Parkway just north of 84 were we picked up Mike’s brother Pete.
Off to the races. Firs stop was the Pootatuck State Forest. Not some place really you would go for a view but that didn’t matter since we were socked in so there wouldn’t have been any views anyway. Gladly though it wasn’t raining. The woods were really nice and the 2 + miles we did on a old woods road was very nice, very quiet and peaceful. The second stop and hike was at Putman Memorial forest. Not a great park really kind of beat up and neglected but a okay place for a walk or if you wanted to say walk your dog (a popular activity on this day).
Okay walks done we were at about lunch and were heading for our first stop. Though honestly our first stop was not for V&B’s but more for our German restaurant sub list. We cut back up to Old Heidelberg in Bethel. We had heard a little about this place and were very curious to try it out. Glad we did. This is a cozy (when I say cozy I mean cozy. It’s a small converted house with dining facilities for may 30 tops) little real German Restaurant with great food, large menu, wonderful people, a very intimate atmosphere like visiting family in the alps or Rhine valley, a stellar and expansive selection of German beers, ext………………. We spend two+ great hours here eating, laughing, and expanding our vocabulary of beers. You know you’re having a great day and meal when asking about beer selection number 6 or 7 the staffs says “why don’t you come back to the cooler and have a look at our selection to see what else you’d like”. We dropped 200$ and frankly that was a bargain for the amount of food and beer the four of us went through. Old Heidelberg was great value for the money and God if you’re in the area you would be served well by stopping here (best German food in CT hands down :D ).
Once we finally left (should have had more beer) we headed over to New Haven to visit Bru Rm@bar (called first to make sure they were open since there info is very vague).
Here is our Bru Rm run down. Parking sucks but we managed to find one right outside the front door, go figure. The atmosphere frankly was not impressive. It was somewhat pieced together and poorly planned. The facility was dirty and the brewing equipment was in need of external cleaning, not a good sign. Frankly this place gave us the impression of a college dive (Bru Rm @ the dive bar would be a better name). When we came in another group of 4 came in with us. There was no one in front of both our groups but it was 10 minutes or so before anyone stopped to ask us if we needed seating or help. This was after they kept walking by us. The hostess and wait staff were totally disorganized and working in chaos. Frankly they didn’t seem to care and there disorder was not because of lack of staff or overcapacity. After a noticeable wait we got a booth and once we were seated we had reasonable service. Then came our beers. We ordered several different beers between us and they were crap plain and simple. The beers were of poor quality and showed a lack of craft or care. On the flip side of this the pizza was pretty good, a strange juxtaposition. For me the last straw was the growler “discussion”. I asked about a empty growler. The young lady was a little confused. I got the impression that few of the customers ask about or know what a growler is. So she came back with yes we have growlers. Okay then I wanted a empty one gave to speech of long drive and bring to be very nice about it. So left confused and came back with NO we don’t sell “empty” growlers. When asked why I got eh following response: “we won’t know how to price that”. Okay well the beer was crap and I don’t want to take it home but I asked about the cost of a full growler (frankly she should have got that info earlier). Now when she came back things went down hill all the way. They wanted 22$ for a full 64 oz standard American style growler :?: when the average price at places with good beer is 15$. I’m sorry to say I got a little pissed :evil: and pretty much told her that 22$ was an outrages price for piss beer when the standard was 15$ on average for good beer. Frankly I hoped they would send the manager over but they clearly didn’t want that confrontation so screw it we paid and I made sure to inform them that I would get one of their growlers from eBay or some such places. I did consider for a moment getting a full one stepping outside and dumping it out in front of the window but I already wasted enough time and money on this place. Lets add to this that 40$ for a medium pizza and some beers was frankly too much money. Only once before had I brewpub were they felt the need to be assholes and that was Iron Hill in Newark DE but these people went beyond that.
Happily leaving the Bru Rm and New Haven (New Haven frankly was only a touch more impressive than the Bru Rm). We went over to SBC in Hamden. Or at least we tried only to find it had closed and vacated the site. That was a hiccup but not to big a deal. We just redirected to the SBC in Branford. The SBC in Branford was our final stop and ending our CT Views and Brews quest. SBC’s staff was great, friendly and attentive. The food and beer were average what you would expect for a chain of reasonable quality and value for the money. The Atmosphere was nice. SBC was a good stop overall and they didn’t make getting a growler a hassle which was a plus.
And so our V&B’s CT adventure has ended. Our favorite stop was City Steam in Hartford our worst for CT and by far amongst the worst if not worst ever out of now some 100+ brewpubs and breweries was Bru Rm ( i suppose if you have a High like Old Heidelberg you sill inevitably have a low like Bru Rm).
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Re: 12-8-12 CT - quest conclusion

Postby Woolybear » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:49 am

Just for the record if anyone has a Bru Rm growler available that they would be willing to part with i would rather pay you for it then them.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:48 am

Congratulations on another state done and additional adventures! The German place sounds great and you had a good bunch of people to join you for the finish - so pretty good accomplishments for one day - we'll stay clear of the Bru Rm fiasco!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:10 am

Congrats on another finish Paul. At least the German Restaurant was a hit out of the park. Been meaning to do the CT list for awhile now and canceled plans twice going over there. After watching a bunch of Restaurant Stakeout on the Food Network it would be interesting to go to Bru Room to see how they compare to the shitty places they have on that show. Fun show to watch. I'll have to try to save City Steam for our finish so to end on a high note. Thanks for all the reports and Congrats again :toast:
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Woolybear » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Hopefully you guys have a better experience than we did at BrU Rm. Though if you are going that way we would love to join you guys for some German food :wink: .
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Sounds good. We'll try to get our act together and do it in the coming year
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:11 am

I added your names to the finishers list, and to NJ.
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Woolybear » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Thank you Tom
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Return to Connecticut Trips and Events