Trip to Sea Dog Brewing Company in Bangor, ME June 27

Maine Trips and Events

Moderators: Pamola, Double Bow

Trip to Sea Dog Brewing Company in Bangor, ME June 27

Postby redshorts47 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 pm

The wife and I along with her brother and one of our very best friends are heading up to Baxter State Park June 25. Our plans are to hike the 3, 4kr's on our NE111 list. Seeing how we are heading up that way, I thought I would check out the list of Brew Pubs in Maine, but I guess it's still under construction :( . I went ahead and searched for Brew Pubs near or in the Bangor area. I came up with a list of Brew Pubs (Gotta love Google :D ) and started nixing the wannabe's from the list (only because you serve food, and serve such beers as "COORS" on draft doesn't mean you have the right to call youselves a Brew Pub, and you should be smacked hard across the face :twisted: :D ).

I came up with two actual Brew Pubs. One that I've already known about for quite some time, The Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar Harbor, ME. http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/index.php I've been meaning to stop at this one the last two times the wife and I took our week vacation to Bar Harbor/Acadia, but just didn't get around to it. I figured no big hurry I guess. We plan on making Acadia an every year vacation destination. Next time we go to Bar Harbor/Acadia I will make sure to stop in. They have tastings and tours, and the little roadside looking BBQ Restaurant looks very welcoming.

The other Brew Pub I came upon on the search, is The Sea Dog Brewing Company http://www.seadogbrewing.com/index.php and at first, I was a little apprehensive about this place because I saw they have three locations. One in Bangor, one in South Portland, and one in Topsham. Like I said, I was a little apprehensive because with three locations they probably get all their beer from one, off site brewery. I went ahead and called The Sea Dog Brewing Company in Bangor, the one we would be stopping at and made an inquirery. I talked to a very pleasant and very helpful fellow Chris Spellman, their beverage manager. I asked him if they brew on site at the brew pub, my reasoning of visiting, and why I would be in the area. He told me all about their brewing facilities that they have there (while small, they still brew 4 of the beers they offer right there), as well as a bunch of info on hiking in Baxter. He's hiked Baxter and the other mountains about 15-20 times and has been on all the trails and gave me advice on what are the best trails to take and in which direction to take them. This guy was so nice I thought at one point he was going to offer his camp to us that he mentioned of having up that way. He gave me his e-mail address and he said he would send a bunch of info to me

Chris told me that Shipyard had bought them out and while they get a good amount of their beer from them, they still brew , like I said above, 4 of their beers right there, which they consider their 4 most popular beers. They included and I can only remember three of the four, but it included their Windjammer Blonde Ale, their Sea Dog Pale Ale, and their Old East IPA. I believe the last one is their Blue Paw Wheat Ale. Chris also told me that The Sea Dog Brewing Company in Bangor is the only one of their 3 locations that brews onsite. He asked me when my group would be visiting the Brew Pub and he told me to make sure to say hi when we all stopped in. Really looking forward to this trip! Can't Wait!!! :toast: :D
Last edited by redshorts47 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Re: Trip to Sea Dog Brewing Company in Bangor, ME June 27

Postby Tom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Wow, we've been to a few up there, but I'm not really sure which! [head-smack-icon!]

I'd better get busy! :eek:
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Pamola » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm such a bum! This list was completed and then the file got corrupted right about the same time I went AWOL. I'll get on that. I think I can restore most of the information. I'm sure a couple things have changed since then (mostly closings unfortunately) but there will definitely be info up by the time you head up there.
Pamola
Brewer

Postby redshorts47 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:30 pm

That's excellent. I can only imagine how much time and effort all of this takes, but I Thank You all very much for all the hard work you put into it
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Return to Maine Trips and Events