Postby Tom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Woohoo! I can't wait! :toast:
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Maine VandB goes live tonight at midnight

Postby Pamola » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:59 am

As promised, it's up!

It's not 100% complete right now, but the first 10 brewpubs are up and complete. The few that have cropped up since I started this project (long time ago. thank goodness I got most of the info back from the corrupted file) I have not figured out hikes for yet. There are a few things about this list that I want to detail, but I have been doing this for 5 hours straight and am a liberal few deep beer-wise. I shall return tomorrow morning with list details/etc and will be finishing the list tomorrow eve.
Pamola
Brewer

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 am

Pamola wrote:. There are a few things about this list that I want to detail, but I have been doing this for 5 hours straight and am a liberal few deep beer-wise.
Hmmm, updating a beer site while drinking beer! What a concept! :toast:

Thanks dude, keep it coming!
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Pamola » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 pm

And I'm back. Here's a quick rundown of the new list and some reasoning for what's there/what's not there.

Since I started this list and the research a couple years ago, at least 3 brewpubs have gone the way of the Dodo, including what was possibly the most remote brewpub in the contiguous US, Slopes Restaurant. A few more have popped up though to fill the void. Those are the places without hikes yet on the list page.

There are a few brewpubs that have multiple locations within the Greater Portland area. I can't make people go to 4 Sebago locations and 3 Gritty's locations within a 50-mile radius so the Portland locations are the ones that have been assigned hikes. People need only visit one location and it needn't be the suggested location, but it is suggested for a reason. It's probably the best location. Directions to and from the optional locations are not included in the brewpub/hike details, but the address/phone is.

Then there are places like Shipyard, who have a massive brewery, multiple differently-named brewpubs and satellite locations, some of which brew as well, some of which don't. I have included two Shipyard locations because they do brew on premises and are worth visiting. These two are Federal Jack's and the Inn on Peaks Island. I have NOT included Shipyard satellites who do not brew on premises, including Seadog in Bangor. I included Atlantic Brewing in Bar Harbor and Marshall Wharf in Belfast, which aren't really brewpubs in the classic sense, but do have annexed restaurants in which their beers are sold.

I added the brewery/brewpub contact information, seasonality, and hours when I could find it to make visiting easier. I also consolidated this and the hike info on one page for easier printing and trip planning. Maine has brewpubs that are just open in the Summer and some that are just open in the Winter, so no one trip to the Pine Tree State will complete this task.

So check it out, let me know what you think, and get out there! As mentioned, I was getting a wee bit hazy last night so I'm sure there are some mistakes in the links/text of the pages. Let me know about those too.
Pamola
Brewer

Postby Laurie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:59 am

Thanks for all of the work on this Kyle! Looking forward to exploring this further in both summer and winter seasons, now to tell the boss that I have a new assignment.................
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:02 am

Pamola wrote:And I'm back. Here's a quick rundown of the new list and some reasoning for ...
I can do this for you, but the hike list does not link to the individual pages.
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Pamola » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 am

The brewpub name on the list is the link to the hike/pub detail page. I felt it would be pretty redundant to have 3 links to the same place.
Pamola
Brewer

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Pamola wrote:The brewpub name on the list is the link to the hike/pub detail page. I felt it would be pretty redundant to have 3 links to the same place.
Ok, I did not read carefully enough. Carry on!
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby redshorts47 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:15 pm

This is Great Pamola and thanks for taking all the time to get this up. One small question though, You said you didn't include any of the Shipyard satellites including Seadog Bangor because they do not brew on premises. When I spoke to their Beverage Manager Chris Spellmen last year whom I got to meet while visiting there he said Seadog Bangor while a small operation they are the only Seadog location that does still brew 4 beers they have available there. Was this once true and they're no longer brewing there, or was I lied to the entire time?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:21 pm

just called there and spoke with a Lady at Seadog Bangor that assured me that they do in fact brew several of there own beers there including different seasonal brews. Yay!!!!! I'm still at one brewpub visited in Maine! :D :toast: Going to return there early July. This place is so Amazing I would almost make the 9 hour drive one way just to go!!!!!!!! :D :toast:
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Pamola » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Fair enough!
I'll make that change as soon as I can. I'll have to come up with a couple hikes for that one. What did you hike for that one, redshorts? I have to get on the hikes for the other two brewpubs too. Seems like a good weekend project to me.
Pamola
Brewer

Postby redshorts47 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:42 pm

We went to BSP and hike the 4000 footers up there, Baxter, Hamlin, and North Brother. We stopped off at Seadog Bangor on our way home since it's right off the highway and also it was also the only Brewpub I knew in the general area. Great Place to go! :D
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Return to Maine Trips and Events