Start of the Maine List

Maine Trips and Events

Moderators: Pamola, Double Bow

Start of the Maine List

Postby woodzy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:10 pm

I am on vacation in Maine and starting my Maine list. I did Atlantic Brewing Co and found Maine Brewing Co not on the list. They both have good beers. Maine Brewing is located next to Jack Russel's Steakhouse where they serve their brew. Let me back up to the hiking in Arcadia before I get too far into the beers.

We got to Bar Habor 2 and 1/2 days ago and we decided to explore Arcadia. I have the family with me so I had to find some easy hiking. We did Cadillac Mtn. and Thunder hole. Those were both relatively short not getting my mile in as would have hoped, but then we went to Sandy beach and it was packed. It was an easily mile walk from our car to the beach and back. The lot was full and we had to park on the hill.

Then we headed to Atlantic brewing to have a sampling of there beer. They had about 9 beers to sample. The summer ale was light and refreshing, the island ginger wheat was a nice light wheat beer with a hint of ginger and then it went down hill. We had their porter, scottisch ale, brown ale, ipa, honey beer, blueberry beer, and a pale ale. I will just leave it as interesting and not so good. The had a bbq place next to the brewery which looked really good but it was getting late and we said we would come back tomorrow to hit it up.

The next day we went back to Arcadia and visited the wild gardens. It was a small walk with some nice gardens but not the mile I needed. There were some trails behind the garden so I went to explore. I wanted a nice longer hike and we went pass a trail to Dorr Mtn. It said 1.6 miles. I said lets do it. I had no idea if that was round trip or one way. I wasn't too worried the kids could handle it. It took us several hours but we made it to the top with 360 degree views. It was 3.2 miles round trip with 1270 elevation gain. It had really nice views all the way up and at the top. We got done with this trail and all were really hungry. We headed for the bbq place next to Atlantic Brewery.

The bbq place next to the brewery was great. We had the bbq sampler and some wings. The food tasted great and I got to have another beer. I had the summer ale which was nice after a long hot hike. The wife had the real ale which wasn't bad either. The kids had root beer of course.

We headed to Bar harbor to check out Bar Harbor Brewing even though it did not serve food. I can never pass up a place that make their own beer and not stop. When I enetered the place I was alittle disappointed. This brewery was brought out by Atlantic Brewing. They had most of the beers there I already tried. The good news is that they still had 3 more beers that I had not tried that were the original recipes of Bar Harbor brewing. The Cadillac Stout, True blue, Thunder HoleBbrown. The beers where all really good. It was a great day, but one more thing to look in to before heading back to the camper.

The last mystery of the day was whether Jack Russel's Steakhouse brewed their own beer. The only way to find out was to go there and ask. So we went. I asked and they don't brew beer there, but the same owner as the steakhouse brews beer in the house behind the resturant under the Maine Brewing Co. He only brews for the steakhouse as far as I could find out from the waitress. The beer was great. We had the porter, brown, and pale ale. They serve 4oz samples for $1.50 a glass. The food was great there too. On to the next brewery in Bangor in a couple of days.
woodzy
Viewer

Re: Start of the Maine List

Postby Woolybear » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:54 am

Sounds like Jack Russel' Steakhouse/Maine Brewing Co. are a contender for addition to the Maine list. I guess this means i will be making drives to Maine to help you with your list.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Re: Start of the Maine List

Postby redshorts47 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:19 pm

Sounds like a good time. Siobhan and I were at Atlantic the same time you were. We were sitting at one of the round patio tables just outside of the covered outside area. Great place for sure. We went to the Bar Harbor brewing tasting room right in town a couple years ago. Can't remember what I had there but I didn't care for the beers at all but maybe that was before Atlantic bought them out. I will have to give them another try next time we're there
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Return to Maine Trips and Events