4 more pubs visited

Maine Trips and Events

Moderators: Pamola, Double Bow

4 more pubs visited

Postby Tom » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 pm

We just got back from a week in Maine, peakbagging Maine 4Ks. 49 miles covered the Views! See http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.p ... 8Part-2%29 for details.

We visited Bray's on the way up. The 'Peated Porter' was my favorite.

We then went to 'The Bag and Kettle' at Sugarloaf the next day. I liked the Alpine Red Raspberry and the Pick Pole Pale Ale.

A few days later, we took a drive up to Kennebec River Brewpub. I liked the Blueberry and the IPA.

On our way home, we went to Gritty's in Auburn. They had huge platters of good food, and several beers we liked including the IPA, Bitter, Porter, and Stout.

This makes 11 for us so far. :toast:
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Re: 4 more pubs visited

Postby Laurie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 am

And I would like to add that it was above zero by a degree or two at Kennebec - beautiful ride and the blueberry was great even though I normally do not like "fruity" beers; would have liked to have tried the Potato Ale at the Bag, but they were all out, Bray's had great food and friendly folks, and Gritty's a great, friendly staff who gave us an entire list of hikes that we will try to put together here shortly and their IPA is advertised as the best in Maine and very well could be!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Funny you say 49 miles because that's exactly what we had for the week.

We had 5 new brewpubs for that trip.

Our favorite place was Bray's good IPA and really good BBQ food. Also loved the atmosphere.

Least favorite place was Bag and Kettle. I wasn't digging their pale and the brown to me was only slightly better. I had asked for their Joe Stout and the girl said they didn't have it and offered me a guinness, umm... no thanks.

Gritty's in Freeport made a redemption for me after visiting their Portland location with their IPA cask, even their IPA not on cask was much much better then the one I tasted at Portland.

Liberal cup had a good pale, the food was good except for their fish chowder that lacked any kind of seasoning and was on the cold side.

Sebago continues to surprise me. Stopped at their Gorham location. While the location is a bit weird it's very nice inside and had a different feel to it then the others in the chain yet still feels like a chain. Now I really want to dislike them because they are a chain but they crank out some excellent beer. Easily the best beer of the trip for me. Their Black IPA was awesome and they had this blend of their IPA, winter seasonal, porter, and barley wine that was stellar.

Siobhan and I are up to 14 now for Maine. If it's 18 to finish up we'll do it next time we go over to accompany our NE Winter 111 finish.

Congrats on your new peaks and your new brewpubs. We had a great time with you guys while over there. Looking forward to doing it again.

What peaks do you guys have left over there?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Tom » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm

redshorts47 wrote:What peaks do you guys have left over there?
We still need

Old Speck
Crockers
Abraham

3 in Baxter.
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby redshorts47 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Nice job over there. It's going to be awhile till we can get back :(
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Woolybear » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am

I guess the race is on for ME :wink: .
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Return to Maine Trips and Events