Maine Finale

Maine Trips and Events

Moderators: Pamola, Double Bow

Maine Finale

Postby woodzy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 pm

It was suppose to be a Maine trip with Paul and Peter, but both guys could not make it. Well what are you going to do? So I decided to take the whole family instead including the in-laws. Some of you may think that it was a crazy idea, but it turned out fine in the end.

I started my hikes on Friday morning at 7:30am at a beautiful temperature of 9° F. I did 2 miles in the beautiful Charleston State forest. It was as nice sunny morning and beautiful blue skies. I then headed over to the Thomas Burbine Memorial forest and did another mile. Then we headed out to Maine.

I drove out with my father in-law, Don. I got an email earlier from Paul to stop at a brewery in North Hampton in New Hampshire called Throwback brewery. This was our first stop. We got there thanks to GPS because you would never find it without it. It was in a warehouse complex. We got there a little before it opened and waited in the parking lot. Well let me tell you when it hit 4pm the cars and patrons started flowing in. They gave you ample samples and had 6-8 beers on tap. I started with a hefeweizen and it was so good you did not even need a lemon if you know what I mean. Don had the stout and he loved it. We could not leave the place without a couple of growlers. Even the spicy bohemian pilsner was good. Don then had their red IPA and was even impressed because he does not usually drink IPA's.

We then headed to Maine. We first stopped at Sebago brewery in Kennebunk. Don and I both had a sampler. They sucked and by that I mean every beer was not complete in its flavor. Don and I ordered some soup which were both good. I had the cheddar ale soup and Don had the seafood chowder. We then started to discuss the beers when the waitress came over and asked us which was our favorite. I been doing this too long to not give an answer. I said to her frankly that none of their beers was my favorite. I told her they were all incomplete. She left the table and Don and I disscused the beers some more. We talked about the Slick Nick Winter Ale and wondered what the beer would taste like with a little bit of cinnamon. So when the waitress came back with our soup, I asked her for a side of cinammon to put in the beer. She was nice and got me some. I put it in the beer and man did it taste better. We came up with a whole new beer for them. The waitress told the manger about it and after they were done with their shifts they would try it. They said if if it is good the would offer it at the place. So if you visit Sebago in Kennebunk and have the Slick Nick, ask for a side of cinnamon!

We then headed to the other two Sebago breweries in Gorham and Scarbough. They were both similar experiences because guess what?? They all serve the same beer! The food was different and good at each brewery. I had a burger at one and blueberry pie at another. The Sebago in Scarborough I had a mixture of three of their beers and again it was flat. The Sebago in Gorham is a neat old train depot the restaurant is in. I had another Slick Nick there and you guessed it, I asked for a side of cinnamon.

We then met up with the rest of the family in Portland and stayed the night. The next day we head to the Fore River Sanctuary for a two mile hike to Jewell Falls. It was a lovely hike and the falls were beautiful, but finding the trail head was a little tricky. The parking was a little tight too. It only fits three cars and with that I thought we were done with the hiking for the trip, but we found one more place to walk which I will tell you about later.

We then headed to Gritty's in Freeport. We head sweet potatoes fries covered in pulled pork and cheese. Yum! Don and I both had a Red Claw which was a really good red ale. We then did some shopping at LL Bean. I needed some boots and the in-laws never have been there before.

After shopping we headed to Gritty's in Auburn for the last pub of the day. We got there and I asked the waitress whether they had any different seasonal beers then the Gritty's in Freeport. She said they had an Oatmeal Cookie Brown ale. Wow what a great beer to finish the state of Maine. It was so good I took a growler of it home.

After the beer and a cup of soup we needed a walk. We walked behind the brewery and up the river walk. It was beautiful and had old mills and waterfalls. We walked by the oldest house in town and right up to the waterfalls. What a great ending to the state of Maine! :-)
woodzy
Viewer

Re: Maine Finale

Postby Woolybear » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 am

Sounds like a very rewarding trip. Glad throwback worked out for you :D .
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Congrats on your Maine Finish! :D :toast:
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 am

Congratulations! Who said this couldn't be a family affair?
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 pm

I got your money, and your list, so I proclaim you finisher #1. :toast:

But this does bring up a sticky situation, as Lee and his wife apparently finished both before and after you! :roll: :?:

So, I think I will have 3 #1's, and after that, #4.
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby redshorts47 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:45 am

What a conundrum. :lol:

Your solution sounds good although it makes no difference to us who's first. I'm just happy to have experienced more of Maine and it's beers with Siobhan.

I'll send the money out on Monday. :toast:
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:53 pm

Finally got around to filling out the forms. Dropped them with the MO @the PO today :D
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:10 am

Just saw the state finisher list. Pretty cool how it's 111 as in NE 111. Can't wait to get back to Maine....this is killing me.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Return to Maine Trips and Events