Delaware is Done!

Moderators: Tom, dawn

Delaware is Done!

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:59 pm

Friday night we drove down to South Jersey and stayed with my Dad. We hit a local Iron Hill Brewery that has great beer, and the most well informed wait staff by FAR that we have ever encountered, when it comes to beer. My glass is tipped to Iron Hill! :toast:

Saturday morning we raced the rain down to Rehoboth Beach in Southern Delaware, and walked along the beach for a while. Nothing special, but some interesting crab shells and ducks. Dogfish Head ROCKS! They have about 20 beers on tap down here! Even though we've had 60, 90, etc. before, we tried them again from the fountain, and boy are they good. The Chickory Stout and the Aprihop were also very good! The food was first rate, and being close to the shore, we had a lot of seafood this weekend. Mmmmm.

Next we drove to Stewart's, in Bear. The beer was good, we did not have any food. I know, 'beer served in a pub setting'.... Oh well. Started to rain about this time.

Then we drove to New-Ark, they pronounce it that way, to another Iron Hill. Again, good beer, we really liked their Pale Ale. But another sampler, and we were on our way to the Hotel. After we checked in, (it was raining like crazy by now!), we called Jan and made arrangements to meet them for dinner at yet another Iron Hill! This place was the largest and most chic looking, but the manager took the time to come over and chat with us. He also bought us a free round of drinks, partly because he liked the concept of VNBs, and partly because the service was a little slow, our butter looked like it had already been opened, and the chipped glass they served our beer in! :eek: In spite of all this, the food was FABULOUS, and we walked away very happy. They have several beers that taste very good, but failed the 'would you order a pint of this' test that we hear at Tap NY.

Apparently, the tornado watch died out, but it rained a TON down there! By Sunday morning it was sunny, but still a little breezy. Jan took us to a place called Alapocas Run State Park, http://www.destateparks.com/park/alapocas-run/index.asp, and we walked around a nice rolling terrain, while Laurie snapped wildflower pics. They are way ahead of us down there for flowers!

Bonus: Delaware does not have any food tax in restaurants! Tip heavily!

So, this makes 9 states! I'm not sure what will be next, but we'll keep plugging away! :D
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Delaware is Done!

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Hmm, guess I had a permission problem. "Is this thing on?" :D
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Laurie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Great weekend! Tom left out a few things that I think should be mentioned:

1- The Iron Hill Breweries each have a brewer on sight who is able to produce his or her own beers in addition to their standard set of beers, so yes, we tried the first Iron Hill, had two samplers, then at the second, we just tried their own second sampler and so on. We also heard some info about how they have their servers take a lengthy training and test to be as knowledgeable as they are. Kudos to the administration of this "chain" brewery who really take this craft so seriously. We would gladly visit any of the sights again and would recommend that others go as well!

2- When in Delaware, visit the State High Point, a really unique experience, not far from our pubs/hikes - just be aware of possible altitude sickness!

3- Great hiking areas with some nice protections in place to preserve niches of space, history and ocean front!

4- Great food! We happen to like seafood, so this was a wonderful bonus for us!

5- Easy to earn the patch in one weekend, so come on down!

PS Thanks to Jan for his guide service throughout the weekend!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:44 am

My wife and I along with a couple friends were talking about how we would love to go visit the Dogfish Head brewpub down in Delaware over a pizza and of course a pitcher of Dogfish Head 60 at Brio's in Phoenicia, after TAP NY this past April. One of the guys we were with ordered a Magic Hat and I had the waiter run down the list of what they had on tap and as soon as he mentioned Dogfish Head 60 everyone chimed in almost before he got done saying it that that was what we all wanted. :D Really great IPA's they have. I think I just need to set a date and go down there soon before winter hits. Can't imagine how tasty it would be straight from their taps!!!!!! :toast:

I'm not sure about hitting the State High Point though, seems pretty brutal! Does one need to take a mountaineering course first? Any guide sevices you recommend? :D
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 pm

The state high point is brutal indeed, lots of classes, lots of miles in preparation for the journey.

Now Dogfish Head, that takes some real preparation. You have no idea how awesome the atmosphere is, plus the number of beers is well, lets say once again, lots of preparation is required due to sheer numbers and volume of beer. A taxi ride is definitely in order as well!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 am

Laurie wrote:The state high point is brutal indeed, lots of classes, lots of miles in preparation for the journey.

Now Dogfish Head, that takes some real preparation. You have no idea how awesome the atmosphere is, plus the number of beers is well, lets say once again, lots of preparation is required due to sheer numbers and volume of beer. A taxi ride is definitely in order as well!

Excellent to hear about Dogfish Head! We want to go down so bad. I will have to talk to the wife and make this happen. How hard would it be to hit the 3 brewpubs in the north if we get there as soon as the first one opens up and then drive to Dogfish Head that night and hike our Hangy off in the morning. Gotta hit the highpoint regardless of the preparation needed, as long as it's not to far of course. Will definitely get a taxi ride for Dogfish Head! Thanks! :D
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 pm

We did the three northern ones in one late afternoon/evening. They are close enough together to do that. Dogfish needs to be seen and savored all by itself! Not to say that we did not really like the northern ones - good food and beer and some not so bad hiking at all of them and few enough that I can remember!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:14 am

It looks like all three in the north all open at 11am so that's good. Haven't figured out how long it would take us to drive to them from our new place but Dogfish Head is 6hours 40 minutes according to google maps. If we get to the first of the three in the north by 11 and have a quick sampler and a bite to eat at one of them for lunch we should hopefully be down to check into our hotel and Dogfish Head by early evening. Followed by hiking at several spots along the way back on Sunday. Doable? Let's hope! :D :toast:
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am

Sounds like a very doable plan. And a good way to manage the tastings, serious tastings and some hiking as well. The trip goes pretty quickly with all highway driving. Have fun and let us know the date, some things are worth repeating!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:49 am

I would like to do it 2 weekends from now, which would be Oct. 14-16, but I will have to check with the wife and make sure we don't have anything else planned. I will let you know the dates when we figure it out :D
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby redshorts47 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 am

doesn't look like October 15-16 is going to work out, every hotel in Rehoboth Beach is booked solid. :eek: Will have to be November 12-13 :toast:
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Return to Delaware Trips and Events