12-31-11 Finished a year and a state

Moderators: Tom, dawn

12-31-11 Finished a year and a state

Postby Woolybear » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:27 pm

12-30-11/12-31-11 Delaware V&B’s
Finished a year and a state
Paul Swieton (Woolybear) and Stephen Buckanin

12-30-11
We were spending some time in south jersey with my in-laws and since there is little for me to do while down here I took this opportunity to work on some more views and brews. Convinced my father in-law to come along and decided on Delaware as the most bang for the buck. He also volunteered to drive which game me a chance to enjoy more beer always a plus.
First stop was Iron Hill in Wilmington. We got in just before the lunch rush. The place was easy to find and access. The atmosphere was nice as was the service. He started our beer tour with their house sampler. On the whole it was ok, the raspberry and stout were the losers of the bunch nothing special as well as the light beer. One of the reds was very nice and the real winner was the Abbey Dubbel. The food was average but I did find a way in which I could also enjoy the IPA’s. Seems hot chili’s cut down the bitterness, something to remember next time I have to drink a whole IPA :wink: .
For our next stop we headed to Iron Hill in Newark (had a little trouble finding it due to GPS mix ups). The Iron Hill in Newark has limited parking and a similar atmosphere to the one in Wilmington but just not as nice and we found the staff to be a little less friendly. Food was the same. Here we had their seasonal sampler. On the whole thier seasonal beer are far sweeter. We found the porter to actually be disappointing but the warmer was nice. They also had a beer called FE15 that was a disastrous loser. It was a triple that was so sweet, overly sweet that it was like drinking uncut coke syrup. Neither of us could manage more than one sample of this one. Another thing that was a turn off to this location was the issue of a growler. I really didn’t want to get a full one (being a guest and having a lot of driving to do to get back home I kinda have little time to enjoy the beer). When I asked about getting just an empty growler they made a stink about how they absolutely do not sell empty growlers. I think I only rubbed them the wrong way when I pointed out they were going to charge me for the glassware regardless if I purchased a full one. I got a full one anyway (since I wanted the growler) full of the Abbey Dubbel and I will enjoy the beer but Iron Hill in Newark end my stop there by being assholes :( . So if you’re going to go to a Iron Hill in Delaware and are not working on a list go to Wilmington.
Well that done it was off to Stewart’s in Bear a short hop away. Stewart’s was very much a neighborhood sports bar. People were nice and the beer was ok on the whole. For me there stand out was the Dark Helmet a black lager. Food was what you expect from a sport bar and they had absolutely no trouble selling me an empty growler :D .
Ok so at this point Delaware and the traffic were getting a bit old but the weather was beautiful which was a nice counterpoint and we only had one to go so off to Dogfish head. Sadly by the time we arrived at Dogfish head it was the dinner rush and there was no chance of a table and the bar was two bodies deep. We managed to eventually push open a place for ourselves near the bar and order some beer (literally did not have enough real estate to ourselves to order a sampler). Tweason ale was what my father in-law ended up with, a grape juice like beer that was ok. I asked the bartender to surprise me with something malty so he gave me a 75 min cask. Ya, not even close to malty mostly just a pale ale. I know this is a meca for hop heads but for me not so much as I worship at a different alter :toast: . It was a very loud and ruches environment and there was no way to get around inside without having to be politely pushy, not ideal. They did sell me an empty growler with no hassle though. Had some time before we need to be over in Lewes to catch the ferry so did our first views by walking around Reheboth Beach, I could take it or leave it (reminded me of long island).
After leaving we headed over to Lewes to catch the ferry to Cape May and still having some time to kill before we could board the last ferry we walked the road bordering Cape Hepoland State park (not much to see in the dark). It would have been nice to spend some time in the park but today was more a brews than a views.

12-31-11
Took the kids to one of the local main land schools so they could spend some time playing on the playground in what was once again beautiful weather (mid fifties) and we put in a mile on the schools track. Post this we still needed to clock one more mile so we opted to walk the mall perimeter near the FAA tech center while the wife’s did some shopping.
Not the most spectacular views I’ve ever done for a views and brews but sometime you have to take the miles were you can get them.
Delaware done another notch for my belt and some more growlers for my collection. Overall a good trip.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Re: 12-31-11 Finished a year and a state

Postby coldfeet » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:30 pm

nice, congrats!
Never been a big beer drinker but I'm willing to learn!
coldfeet
Pubcrawler

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Duly recorded, patches are on their way! :toast:

http://www.viewsandbrews.com/de/finish.html
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Woolybear » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Thank you Tom :D
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby Double Bow » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 pm

I visited Iron Hill in Wilmington after running the Delaware Marathon in 2010 and liked it very much. Glad to hear that you had a good time and knocked off yet another state. Some marathoners try to run one in each state. I think you should hit all the brewpubs in the country! That would be amazing.
"A man's not drunk if he can lay on the floor without holding on." -- Joe E. Lewis
Double Bow
Senior Viewer

Postby Tom » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 am

Double Bow wrote:I visited Iron Hill in Wilmington after running the Delaware Marathon in 2010 and liked it very much. Glad to hear that you had a good time and knocked off yet another state. Some marathoners try to run one in each state. I think you should hit all the brewpubs in the country! That would be amazing.
If I had the time and the money, I would do just that!
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Woolybear » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:58 pm

I'd have to put a new room on the house to put all the growlers in.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:24 pm

There's nothing wrong with increasing the value of your home with a small addition, Paul!
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby redshorts47 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Congrats!!!

I agree with you entirely that the Iron Hill in Willimgton is the one to go to.

It's too bad you didn't have more time at Dogfish head and really try all they hve to offer. During the day and before the dinner rush it's no problem to get a seat at the bar, atleast it wasn't when we went in November and was quite and enjoyeable. Once dinner rush hits, foget about it, it turns into a packed house especially on the weekends when they have live music but we also enjoy that kind of atmosphere as well. Planning on going back to Dogfish Head for a weekend this coming Fall again. Can't wait! :D
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Woolybear » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:00 pm

I might try it again if i were in the area but i have absolutely no reason to be in or go to south Delaware so its highly unlikely i will ever go back. If i am going to be in the general geographic area it will be in the Chesapeake for the crab.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm

They had awesome crab rolls and bisque at Dogfish Head........might want to check it out next time you're in the area.
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Woolybear » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Laurie wrote:They had awesome crab rolls and bisque at Dogfish Head........might want to check it out next time you're in the area.

Ya but my wife tells me there is nothing like getting the crap fresh off the boat right to your table.
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Return to Delaware Trips and Events