Is PA too big?

Moderators: Tom, dawn

Is PA too big?

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:26 am

Given there are about 50 pubs in PA, we were thinking of splitting the state in 2.

You would have to do 23 of 25 (for example) pubs in either the West or the East side of the state.

This is how the 'xxx Brewing News' magazines split the state as well.

Comments?
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Is PA too big?

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Another suggestion is to cap any state at 25. I'm open to suggestions.
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby daLunartik » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:58 pm

NY currently has 50 with qualifying for the patch at 25. Not sure how that differs from PA with 50 brewpubs. I'd assume it would be the same or similar qualification. I haven't looked at all the states, but it seems to be the general principal is a majority of the pubs where theres 10 or more pubs (CT, with 7 of 10) or all where there a few, like Rhode Isand and it's 4 (though I bet you'd get a general consensus to make RI 3 of 4....'cause I for one know it's highly unlikely I'll ever make it to Block Island).
daLunartik
Viewer

Postby Tom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:54 pm

daLunartik wrote:NY currently has 50 with qualifying for the patch at 25. Not sure how that differs from PA with 50 brewpubs. I'd assume it would be the same or similar qualification. I haven't looked at all the states, but it seems to be the general principal is a majority of the pubs where theres 10 or more pubs (CT, with 7 of 10) or all where there a few, like Rhode Isand and it's 4 (though I bet you'd get a general consensus to make RI 3 of 4....'cause I for one know it's highly unlikely I'll ever make it to Block Island).
NY has far fewer than 50, the numbers reflect all the places that have ever been on the list. We just lost King Arthur's, so we are down to 34 as this writing, and the general rule is:

If 4 or fewer, do them all, but otherwise it's 75% of the state.

3/4 of 50 is still a LOT! (Then again, Washington and Oregon have over 100! :eek: )

As for deleting Block Island, I've already said what I have to say about that! :twisted:
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby daLunartik » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Tom wrote:NY has far fewer than 50, the numbers reflect all the places that have ever been on the list.
As for deleting Block Island, I've already said what I have to say about that! :twisted:

Yeah, just took another look at the spreadsheet - helps if I actually count it vs just looking at the largest number. :D I guess I'm a lot further along than I thought I was.

As for Block Island...always worth a shot :toast:
daLunartik
Viewer

Postby Double Bow » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:10 pm

I'd vote for splitting PA into east and west.
"A man's not drunk if he can lay on the floor without holding on." -- Joe E. Lewis
Double Bow
Senior Viewer

Postby Tom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Double Bow wrote:I'd vote for splitting PA into east and west.
I recently decided that 30 was enough for NY. It's almost as big as PA now! :eek: So, maybe we will cap each state at 30. That's still a lot of brewpubs, and no one is stopping you from doing them all! :D
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pennsylvania Q/A