Cali-Neva Trip

Cali-Neva Trip

Postby Tom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Short version:

Hikes

Rose Mountain in Nevada, overlooking Lake Tahoe. Spectacular views all the way. 10,750', but a starting elevation of 8900' makes it more doable. Slight elevation issues. Just a few specs of snow. 10 miles. There, hiking done! :D

Well, not quite, we walked to 3 fire towers, Zepyhr, Angora, and State Line. Zephyr is in a ritzy neighborhood near the lake, on a small steep hill. The other 2 had great views. We also walked to Americ's highest lighthouse, (sic!) called Rubicon. It overlooks Tahoe, and is out of commission now, but was used for a few years a long time ago. We also walked to Lake Shirley, a beautiful pond near Squaw Valley Ski Resort.

Pubs:

California

The Brewery, Tahoe, CA - Good IPA, great nacho plate with delicious Guac!

Stateline , Tahoe, CA - Nothing great here, quick visit.

Tahoe Brewing, Tahoe City, CA - Just ok

Fifty Fifty, Truckee, CA - Good IPA, and other beers, good food, but expensive.[/list]

Nevada

Brew Brothers, Reno, NV - Good IPA, Hef.

High Sierra Brewing, Carson City, NV, (Not Sierra Nevada) - Hmmm ?

Silver Creek, Reno, NV - Ok

Great Basin, Reno, NV - Several good beers

BJ's - Near Reno, NV, Great Witte, several other good beers. Great food! Guacamole egg roles were to die for!

This makes 8 out of 13 for us in Nevada. 1 more to go, and I think we can easily do that in December!
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Cali-Neva Trip

Postby Woolybear » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Ah so we should soon see a Nevada tab on the V&B's home page as well. Ak and NV it seems to be a year of expansion :) .
PA - 4/30
Woolybear
Pubcrawler

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:15 am

Woolybear wrote:Ah so we should soon see a Nevada tab on the V&B's home page as well. Ak and NV it seems to be a year of expansion :) .
Yeah, 'soon'. :twisted:

I also had an offer for Virginia from Double Bow. We shall see....
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Postby redshorts47 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Nicely done Tom and Laurie! Siobhan and I need to expand our horizons. Maybe next summer
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
redshorts47
Pubcrawler

Postby Laurie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm

A fabulous trip!!! And while the areas seem so stark, they are filled with life when you walk through them and we saw at best three clouds in 11 days!

We read reviews and planned our pub stops carefully. The one with poorest reviews was my favorite - BJ's with an incredible stout and wit. For me to go someplace and not order a pint of the IPA - well that says it all! And a to die for Avacado Egg Roll.........And the Icky IPA is sold all over the state - pretty tasty indeed.

We also visited the Sierra Tap Room in Reno, something like 8 or 9 Sierra Nevada brews on TAP.
Laurie
Laurie
Beer Goddess

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:58 pm

After looking at Nevada a little more closely, there are 13 unique brewers, so the minimum would be 9.
Tom Rankin
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Nevada Trips and Events